In the early 1980’s Charles Hewitt, the now Chairman, but at that time fledgling marketing and salesman, took to the fields and circuits and began to build relationships with professional racing teams. The first major partnership was the support of the 'Team Green' Kawasaki Motocross team of the mid eighties which started Rock down the path of motorcycle racing support. So much so that many people still remember the team and Rock’s involvement over 30 years later. David Thorpe, 3 time World 500cc MX Champion, was a part of this team and still runs on Rock Oil a quarter of a century later with his Crendon Honda MX team. The intervening years have seen a succession of who's who in racing running under the Rock banner.
Here are just a few of those teams and riders:
- Georges Jobe – World 500cc MX Champion
- Dave Thorpe - World 500cc MX Champion
- John Reynolds – 3 Time BSB Champion, GP Rider
- Jamie Whitham – BSB Champion, World Supersport Rider
- Steve Hislop – BSB Champion, 11 time TT Champion
- Darren Dixon and Andy Hetherington - World Sidecar Champions
- Brad Anderson - Multiple British MX Champion
- Simon Wigg - Longtrack World Champion
- Jason Crump – World Speedway Champion
- Rob McElnea - BSB Champion, GP Rider
- Reve Racing – British Title Winning Superbike Team
- Renegade Ducati – British Title Winning Superbike Team
- Padgetts – Grand Prix Team, British Supersport Champions
- Pela Renet - World MX3 Champion
- Tai Woffinden – World Speedway Champion
Rock has also worked in conjunction with just about all the major manufacturers such as Yamaha, Ducati, Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki and Triumph. This support of racing does not just apply to the very top levels of competition and we have always supported grass roots racing.
Rock are still very much involved in racing support and product development and are still working with major racing teams and individuals from youth level up to world title contenders. Areas supported include grasstrack, karting, motocross, road and track racing, rallying and even a team competing at Le Mans. Also worthy of mention is our involvement in support as diverse as a NASA project and an Everest expedition! This eclectic mix of projects and sports is a testament to the variety of high performing products Rock manufacture and a commitment to producing the very finest lubricants possible.